Saturday, February 24, 2007

On the Irish...

Thomas Cahill believes that the Irish are the only reason we can still read...or at least that's how I would sum up his book, "How the Irish Saved Civilization." This paragraph struck me as particularly pertinent to our class:

“[I]n the dreams of a people, if we can read these aright, lie their most profound fears and their most exalted aspirations. We know something of Irish dreams, for we can piece together their mythology – their collective dream-story – from the oral tales of the pre-Christian period (such as the Tain) that were subsequently written down and from the artifacts uncovered by archaeologists. Since neither the tales nor the artifacts can offer us a whole mythology – the complete Irish dream cycle – we must read these materials as if they were the fragments of a great papyrus.”

1 Comments:

At 27 February, 2007 , Blogger Wayne said...

did the Irish *really* save civilization? I'm sure the Swedes had something to do with it, too.

Oh, and the movie I keep showing my 121 class, "Lost Book Found" by Jem Cohen, also believes that scraps are part of the Great Papyrus, only these are etchings on pay-phones, lost receipts and phone numbers, discarded love letters that have blown into the gutters, endless upon endless scraps of things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home