Thursday, February 8, 2007

Musings for Papers

I've been thinking a lot about the film I referenced earlier in this blog (When Harry became a Tree) and how it is a displacement of the myth of the tree. There are connections between the tree and the image of death, a sort of synthesis of life and reproduction, cuckold and faithful. I think there is a lot to be had from digging through the layers of this one.

Osiris is a Tree-spirit according to Frazer and "The Golden Bough." Why can't I get my computer to let me type in italics? Frustrating. And of course there is the sacrificial imagery (Christ's Cross), the tree of Life whose leaves are for the healing of the nations, the tree of knowledge, the tree of Norse mythology, and the fact that trees burn during the summer which aggravates my allergies but lets me know that it's truly summer in Montana. It's all connected, I'm sure.

Feedback or connections that pertain to any of that imagery would be welcome.

4 Comments:

At 08 February, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought it's because trees resemble giants.

 
At 10 February, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmm..............?

 
At 12 February, 2007 , Blogger Wayne said...

Tree material still forthcoming :( Sorry. I actually need to weed it all out of autobiographical writing that always seems to find its way into my "academic stuff."

Devil: Is that fruit from the Tree of Life in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

God: ZAP!!!

 
At 13 February, 2007 , Blogger Charity said...

HAhahahahAHAHahAHAHhaha!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home